The Governing Body — History
We are an independent charity working towards improving the quality of life for people with epilepsy and their families across Merseyside and Cheshire.
For over 60 years, we’ve been providing a free and confidential community service which aims to give support and information on a personal basis.
A Brief History
The Association was founded in 1956 by a Liverpool Social Worker, Dorothy Kealing, and was named Merseyside Epileptics Society. The Society’s President was Lord Cohen of Birkenhead and its Chairman Dr RR Hughes.
Over the next ten years it functioned as a branch of the British Epilepsy Association and in that period changed its name to British Epilepsy Association – Mersey Branch.
In 1966 the Chairmanship was taken by neurosurgeon Richard Hannah with his wife Kay as the Honorary Secretary. They recruited Peter Rogan and David Renison to the Committee.